Wow, Friday night was amazing! It was fantastic to see the room so full of lovely people, we couldn’t get another chair in if we tried. Great to see new and old faces as well as friends and family, thank you all so much for supporting us in our venture. 🙂
This time it was the dessert’s time to shine. We had super feedback for this, so I thought I would post the recipe:
Orange Blossom Ice Cream in Kataifi Nests
- To make the orange blossom ice-cream: I made a traditional vanilla ice cream and added a dessert spoon of orange blossom essence during the first stage. Here’s a link to the recipe and method: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1881/ultimate-vanilla-ice-cream
- To make the Kataifi nests: Preheat your oven to 200oC/ 180o fan. Seperate the Kataifi strands and toss with icing sugar and melted clarified butter, until evenly coated. This threadlike dough plays a traditional role in Greek and Levantine confectionery and treats.
- Line each cup of a muffin tray with a thin layer of the Kataifi. Bake for 7-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the tray.
- To make the Orange Syrup: Add orange juice, granulated sugar, Star Anise, Clove and Cardamom together in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer until reduced by half. Leave to cool before serving.
- To serve, we put a large scoop of ice cream into each nest, topped with another nest, drizzled over the syrup and sprinkled with toasted flaked almonds.
JESSE TIP – We found Kataifi rather difficult to source but eventually purchased here: https://www.melburyandappleton.co.uk/kataifi-pastry-kadaif—-400g-10264-p.asp Such a nice ingredient to work with, could be used in all sorts of ways, savoury and sweet!