The next SPICED supper club is on the 24th November and we are going Indonesian! The menu is vibrant, colourful and full of intense flavours, should be a real treat.
Starting them young
Last week I hosted a cooking lesson for the Larkhall scout group in Bath, demonstrating how to make a traditional Italian Spaghetti aglio e olio. I wanted to show them something simple to create from cupboard ingredients that is both incredibly tasty and super easy to put together. After the demo the scouts re-created their own dishes, standards varying from good to excellent! So wonderful to see such a great group of eager budding cooks and be able to pass on my experience, really enjoyed it.
Please get in touch if you are interested in holding a lesson near you.
Supper Club sweetness
Wow, Friday night was amazing! It was fantastic to see the room so full of lovely people, we couldn’t get another chair in if we tried. Great to see new and old faces as well as friends and family, thank you all so much for supporting us in our venture. 🙂
This time it was the dessert’s time to shine. We had super feedback for this, so I thought I would post the recipe:
Orange Blossom Ice Cream in Kataifi Nests
- To make the orange blossom ice-cream: I made a traditional vanilla ice cream and added a dessert spoon of orange blossom essence during the first stage. Here’s a link to the recipe and method: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1881/ultimate-vanilla-ice-cream
- To make the Kataifi nests: Preheat your oven to 200oC/ 180o fan. Seperate the Kataifi strands and toss with icing sugar and melted clarified butter, until evenly coated. This threadlike dough plays a traditional role in Greek and Levantine confectionery and treats.
- Line each cup of a muffin tray with a thin layer of the Kataifi. Bake for 7-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the tray.
- To make the Orange Syrup: Add orange juice, granulated sugar, Star Anise, Clove and Cardamom together in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer until reduced by half. Leave to cool before serving.
- To serve, we put a large scoop of ice cream into each nest, topped with another nest, drizzled over the syrup and sprinkled with toasted flaked almonds.
JESSE TIP – We found Kataifi rather difficult to source but eventually purchased here: https://www.melburyandappleton.co.uk/kataifi-pastry-kadaif—-400g-10264-p.asp Such a nice ingredient to work with, could be used in all sorts of ways, savoury and sweet!
New SPICED Supper Club in Marshfield
We are so looking forward to the first supper club in the historic village of Marshfield. A delightful and highly sought-after village, situated to the north east of Georgian Bath, it is a mixture of Victorian, Georgian and some much older buildings. The town is rich in history because of its location in the heart of Cotswold wool country.
Cheese glorious cheese
We are catering for a big wedding this weekend and are very excited to serve the cheese course. Our lovely friends at Pong have supplied us with all these beautiful cheeses, currently stinking out our fridge!
Did you know that Turophile is the formal name for a cheese lover? From an irregular formation of the Greek word for cheese, tyros, plus the English -phile, meaning “lover”! Can you call yourself a Turophile? I know I definitely can!
Thanks to everyone who has shown interest in the SPICED supper club on the 8th September at the Three Swans in Frome. We are now fully booked but please get in touch if you would like to go on the mailing list to hear about the next one.
SPICED Supper Club Menu
Really looking forward to seeing everyone who has booked for the Supper Club on the 8th September. Below is the menu, we hope you like the sound of it!
Spiced Supper Club
All of our menus are based around spices from around the globe, which Jesse Davies uses in different ways to create dishes that are full of flavour. Expect authentic Asian, Middle Eastern, African and South American cuisine, cooked with love and passion.
£25 a head, with a maximum of 50 diners. Serving starts at 7.30pm and ends around 10.30pm.
More dates and a new SPICED supper club in Marshfield to be announced soon.
Yummy buffet lunch on Saturday
Thanks to the eighteen hungry hen’s on Saturday who ordered a buffet lunch. Such a lovely group of girls in a truly special setting in Limpley Stoke.
Second Spice Night Supper Club